Tuesday 9 November 2010

What should a good piece of poetry be able to do for Cha?


Could you tell me your personal definition of 'quality' in a work of poetry, of fiction? What should a good piece of poetry be able to do for Cha?

There are no strict criteria for a good poem. If there were, everyone would be able to follow the 'rules' and write 'good' poems. Still, for me, I look for the following things: an original use of language, honesty and a captivating voice. Perhaps, my personal preference runs more towards poems that can tell a story than 'experimental' poems, which can feel cold and overly manufactured. That having been said, we have published a wide range of poetry in Cha and we are open to new forms and ideas. Perhaps I should also say that since the launch of our critique column, A Cup of Fine Tea, I have also become more conscious of the enduring quality of poems that we publish. We want the pieces to be interesting and meaningful long after we have published them.

See more questions and answers here.
-
See

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...