Wednesday 3 August 2011

"The Woman" by Robert Creeley

-
-
-
-
The Woman
................................by Robert Creeley

I have never
clearly given to you
the associations
you have for me, you

with such
divided presence my dream
does not show
you. I do not dream.

I have compounded
these sensations, the
accumulation of the things
left me by you.

Always your
tits, not breasts, but
harsh sudden rises
of impatient flesh

on the chest--is it
mine--which flower
against the vagueness
of the air you move in.

You walk
such a shortness
of intent strides, your
height is so low,

in my hand
I feel the weight
of yours there,
one over one

of both, as you
pivot upon me, the
same weight grown
as the hair, the

second of your attributes,
falls to
cover us. We
couple but lie against

no surface, have
lifted as you again
grow small
against myself, into

the air. The
air the third of
the signs of you
are known by: a

quiet, a soughing silence,
the winds lightly
moved. Then

your
mouth, it opens not
speaking, touches,

wet, on me. Then
I scream, I
sing such as is
given to me, roar-

ing unheard,
like stark sight
sees itself
inverted

into dark
turned. Onanistic.
I feel around
myself what

you have left me
with, wetness, pools
of it, my skin
drips.
-
(pp. 291-293)
-
-

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, seriously liking this, sometimes abrupt dialect, has a more sensuous feel, than all the usual floral tributes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - it's a great poem. His other poems are very good as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...